Few things are more classic than sausage, egg, & cheese for breakfast. I decided to kick up this classic with a little spice & some veggies. This is super easy, delicious, holds as leftovers, and reheats well. Big wins for me.
Kicked Up Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 1 package Buttery Crescent Rolls
- 1 lb Breakfast Sausage mild or spicy
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Jalapeno seeded and diced
- 8 oz Private Selection® Chef's Blend Sharp Cheddar, Gouda, Asiago Thick Cut Shredded Cheese
- 9 Eggs
- 1 c Milk any kind
- ½ tbsp Garlic Power
- ½ tbsp Paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- Chives diced
- Preheat oven to 375° & spray a 9×13 baking dish with spray. Also, warm a skillet on medium heat on your stovetop. I used my cast iron for this recipe & would definitely recommend it.
- While your pan heats, pop open your crescent rolls & spread them across your baking dish in a sheet. Pinch the seams together and set aside.
- Once your skillet is hot, brown your sausage. I used spicy, but you can definitely use mild.
- While your sausage is cooking, dice the onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno. Make sure you use gloves when dicing the jalapeno, but if you don't want to, just ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES (trust me). Stir your sausage sporadically while dicing.
- Once your sausage is browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer it on top of your crescent rolls. DO NOT DRAIN THE FAT.
- Immediately add the diced onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno to the skillet, season with some salt, & saute.
- As your vegetables saute, whisk your eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika together. I used whole milk, but again, you can use whatever you like best. The higher the fat content of your milk product, the creamier your casserole will be.
- Once your veggies are sauteed, transfer them to the baking dish too. Make sure your sausage and veggies are evenly distributed. Then pour your cheese on top, also evenly distributed. I found this cheese blend at Kroger, but if you can't find it, sub for a Mexican cheese blend.
- Pour eggs on top of your sausage, veggies, and cheese, making sure it covers the entire pan. It will sink into the mixture. Top with the chives.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the eggs have cooked.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. & Enjoy